Director of Enrollment Strategy
NewCity is a 26 year-old, 25-person firm, working in a highly collaborative, low-ego environment to create digital experiences for the real world. We ask big questions, dream big dreams, but at the end of the day we build things that work. Our culture is can-do, roll-up-your-sleeves, I’ve got your back and you’ve got mine. We’re constantly learning, experimenting and reinventing NewCity.
We design and build enterprise-level websites for higher education, large non-profit, and commercial clients. Our core expertise is in the higher education and non-profit space where we’ve been pioneers of human-centered design for over two decades.
We’re organized around seven key disciplines: user experience, visual design, content strategy, development, digital marketing, project management and business development. Our project teams are made of people from multiple disciplines.
NewCity excels at shaping digital strategy for the main website of an institution. We want to expand our work to encompass the broader student journey in digital. Too often higher ed websites aren’t created in a way to support enrollment strategies, so enrollment teams end up creating separate digital experiences to support their campaigns. We’re looking for someone to lead this expansion for us. The shape and specifics of this expansion is something we’ll develop together– we have some ideas about opportunities, but our ideal candidate will bring their own ideas as well.
You’ll consult with prospective clients to shape new opportunities along with our business development team, and be part of our client teams as a strategist guiding any new or existing work we do that touches the enrollment journey. You may directly manage some client relationships depending on the nature of the work. This is not a business development position with sales targets, although there may be some mix of salary and incentive compensation.
As our work in this area grows you will help us build and lead a team to support enrollment-specific activities. We envision starting this within 6-12 months of someone joining our team in this role.
We will expect you to stay current in the enrollment space, attending conferences, writing about enrollment strategy and helping NewCity grow our network of partners and clients.
NewCity has dozens of strong higher ed client relationships already, and we’re already doing some work on the enrollment side, so you won’t be starting completely from scratch. But you will need to help our business development team sell enough of this work to support growing this practice area. We will also continue to work with outside partners for many aspects of enrollment marketing. We will be happy to discuss this in greater detail with qualified candidates.
The principles of enrollment strategy and marketing apply to other markets. Ideally your leadership would influence our work with customer engagement outside of student recruitment as well.
This could be a great fit for you if you…
- have a vision for what a unified journey could be for students, and believe the web and enrollment digital experiences should be conceived together.
- have a strong network within the higher ed admissions and enrollment community.
- are looking for a highly collaborative work environment where you learn from and teach your peers.
- love diving in to learn new strategies and methods.
- have an in-depth understanding of the entire enrollment process and expertise in recruitment at all stages of the funnel for a variety of student populations.
- have working knowledge of web and content strategy.
This is a full-time, remote position with some travel expectations. This position reports to the NewCity President, David Poteet.
We would expect this position to start in the summer of 2022 after conclusion of the current enrollment season.
- Minimum 5 years in admissions and enrollment strategy roles including:
- at least 1-2 years in a senior-level campus-based role
- overseeing or doing marketing work
- experience with CRMs (Slate, Salesforce, Ellucian)
- experience with email marketing platforms
- developing communication flows for marketing automation
- writing for email, digital and print campaigns
- using analytics to prepare reports for leadership
- Management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in both small and large institutions
- Experience working on a remote team
- Experience in an agency or consulting setting
- Experience with
- planning and managing digital marketing campaigns for enrollment
- A/B testing of campaign tactics
Location, Compensation & Benefits
NewCity is distributed, but we have several team members in the Blacksburg, VA and Charleston, SC areas. You would be working from home, traveling occasionally to meet with coworkers or clients in person. You must reside in either the Eastern or Central US time zones to be available for meetings during our regular business hours of 9am-5pm Eastern.
Compensation & Benefits
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package; salary for this position will vary based on experience. Benefits include:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Coverage
- LTD/STD/Life Insurance
- Remote Stipend
- 12 Vacation days, 5 Personal days
- 10 Paid Holidays
We do not sponsor employment visas; only candidates legally eligible to work in the United States will be considered.
A small note on diversity
We treasure the differences and unique perspectives each of us brings to NewCity. We want to keep growing in diversity and inclusion – it makes us richer in every way. Please know that we are seeking applications from everyone, no matter what background you come from. If this sounds like the job you want, we want to hear from you.
NewCity is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.