NewCity is a 27 year-old, 25-person firm, working in a highly collaborative, low-ego environment to create digital experiences for the real world. We ask big questions, dream big dreams, but at the end of the day we build things that work. Our culture is can-do, roll-up-your-sleeves, I’ve got your back and you’ve got mine. We’re constantly learning, experimenting and reinventing NewCity.
We design and build enterprise-level websites for higher education, large non-profit, and commercial clients. Our core expertise is in the higher education and non-profit space where we’ve been pioneers of human-centered design for over two decades.
We’re organized around seven key disciplines: user experience, visual design, content strategy, development, digital marketing, project management and business development. Our project teams are made of people from multiple disciplines.
We are looking for a Drupal developer with a primary focus on the back-end of the Drupal platform. In this role you will join our development team to build small to large-scale Drupal websites for a wide variety of clients. A typical day might involve assisting with custom module development, moving data via the Migration API, deploying Composer-based Drupal builds, and plenty of collaboration with our front-end developers and site builders around connecting Twig templates to the back-end. There will also be opportunity consult with our business development team on new opportunities, guide technical discovery as we start projects, plan infrastructure, and assist in the long-term maintenance of our clients’ CMS platforms.
This is a full-time, remote position. There may be some limited travel. This position reports to the Director of Technology.
- Minimum of 4 years of web development experience, 2 years building back-end code for Drupal
- Demonstrated experience building Drupal systems on a multi-disciplinary team (designers, user experience architects, project managers, etc).
This could be a great fit for you if you…
- Believe developers should have a seat at the table to shape strategy and architecture
- Are experienced with building and deploying sites using Drupal’s configuration management and using Composer-based dependency management
- Have a solid understanding of Drupal 8+ internal APIs and hooks and are familiar with building out custom services.
- Have a good sense of what’s available in the contrib ecosystem to solve a problem, when to look to custom module development, and have a history of building dependable custom modules in the latter case.
- Enjoy the challenges of moving data data into Drupal from external systems via the Migration API
- Can easily translate the communicated needs of a client into potential implementation options
- Have experience building out templates – an understanding of render arrays, how they are displayed thru Twig templates, and knowledge of how to nest the templates appropriately for maintainability
- Have developed Drupal sites in collaboration w/ a front-end developer
- Can manage your own priorities across multiple concurrent projects with sometimes overlapping deadlines.
Nice to have – experience with…
- Developing in an agency or professional services setting
- Developing for higher education
- Platform as a Service providers like Pantheon, Acquia, or Platform.sh
- Gitlab / Github to collaborate on a codebase with a team
- CI/CD approaches for testing and deploying code
- Using Docker in your development practices
- Drupal.org project maintenance
- Working remotely
Location, Compensation & Benefits
NewCity is distributed, but we have several team members in the Blacksburg, VA and Charleston, SC areas. You would be working from home, traveling occasionally to meet with coworkers or clients in person. You must reside in either the Eastern or Central US time zones or be available for meetings during our regular business hours of 9am-5pm Eastern.
Compensation & Benefits
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package; salary for this position will vary based on experience. Benefits include:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Coverage
- Long Term Disability/Short Term Disability/Life Insurance
- 1 week of dedicated professional development per year
- Remote Stipend
- 12 Vacation days, 5 Personal days
- 11 Paid Holidays
We do not sponsor employment visas; only candidates legally eligible to work in the United States will be considered.
A small note on diversity
We treasure the differences and unique perspectives each of us brings to NewCity. We want to keep growing in diversity and inclusion – it makes us richer in every way. Please know that we are seeking applications from everyone, no matter what background you come from. If this sounds like the job you want, we want to hear from you.
NewCity is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.