UX Internship at NewCity
NewCity, a digital agency in Blacksburg, Virginia, is looking for a user experience intern who’s passionate about shaping great experiences for real people.
UX is a highly multidisciplinary field, covering all aspects of how a user interacts with a digital experience. UXers come from a wide variety of backgrounds—they are often fascinated by psychology, anthropology, sociology, architecture, or cognitive science. You might be good at it if you like watching people use technology and thinking about how you can make it better.
At NewCity, our interns will participate in all aspects of the UX process—including concept development, user research, content strategy, information architecture, and interaction design. You’ll join client meetings to experience client presentations and design consultations. And you’ll learn from your teammates from all disciplines.
You can expect to work on large, complex websites, web and mobile applications, and design systems. You’ll analyze qualitative and quantitative data, identify problems, come up with ideas, and demonstrate them through tools like wireframes and sitemaps. This role will focus on UX research and strategy rather than interface design, but you’ll get the chance to work on teams with our designers and developers to learn how ideas come to life.
- It is a paid internship opportunity. Course credit is not available.
- You are available for a 15-20 hours/week during our regular office hours (M-F, 9-6).
- You are also available for a 3-month period starting sometime in February or March. (There may be an opportunity to continue beyond that initial period.)
- We would expect the intern to work in-person in our offices in Blacksburg.
Please note: NewCity does not sponsor employment visas; only candidates legally eligible to work in the United States will be considered.
(You may not have all of these yet—and that’s okay!)
- You’ve had coursework or demonstrated interest in design research, graphic design, communications design, and/or usability. (Majoring in design or computer science is not required, and you do not need to currently be a student to apply).
- You are curious about how things work and how to balance multiple—and sometimes conflicting—needs of the technology, the users, and the organization.
- You like to make things.
- You enjoy responsibility, and you know that real effort pays off daily.
- You have top grades or a track record of success.
- You have excellent written and spoken communication.
Since 1995 NewCity has been creating digital experiences for the real world. We are 28 people working in a highly collaborative, low-ego environment. We ask big questions, dream big dreams, but at the end of the day we build things that work. Our culture is can-do, roll-up-your-sleeves, I’ve got your back and you’ve got mine. We’re constantly learning, experimenting, and reinventing NewCity.
We’re organized around 6 key disciplines: user experience, visual design, content strategy, development, project management and business development. Our project teams are made of people from multiple disciplines.
About Our Clients
If you review our portfolio, you’ll see a lot of work in higher education. It represents about 70% of our work each year. We love working with colleges and universities. It’s a dynamic, constantly changing space that always presents fresh challenges. The rest of our work is mainly with non-profits and B2B corporations. Roughly half our work each year is with repeat clients.
Our clients say there’s nothing cookie-cutter in our portfolio. They say we capture the unique DNA of their brand. That’s huge for us. You’ll help us continue to do that.
Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle of NewCity. As an equal opportunity employer, employment is based upon personal capabilities, qualifications and performance. NewCity does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, appearance, age, national origin, disability, or any other legally protected status.
How to Apply
Send a resume, examples of your work, and a short statement of your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “UX Internship.” In your statement, tell us (in 500 words or fewer) why your skills, experiences, and goals are a good fit for NewCity. Please apply by email only. No phone calls or walk-ins.