NewCity is a nationally recognized digital strategy, design, and development firm. We design and build enterprise-level websites for higher education, large non-profit, and commercial clients. Our core expertise is in the higher education and non-profit space where we’ve been pioneers of human-centered design for over two decades.
We’re organized around seven key disciplines: user experience, visual design, content strategy, development, digital marketing and analytics, project management and business development. Our project teams are made of people from multiple disciplines.
As a UX Strategist, you’ll be in a key leadership position with our clients. You’re the one who discovers that sweet spot between client goals and user needs—serving as advocate, negotiator, and occasionally peacemaker. UX encompasses many areas – research, facilitation, strategy, information architecture, wireframes, content strategy and usability testing. You’ll do all of these things, with a fair amount of stakeholder wrangling thrown in for fun. The UX Strategist works with a project from stakeholder interviews through implementation to ensure that our whole team keeps humans at the center of our design approach. You can expect to work on websites, web and mobile applications, and real-world service experiences.
This job could be a great fit for you if you…
- Can see the big picture but still enjoy every excruciating, messy detail.
- Enjoy leading clients through the process of understanding their audiences, uncovering the real story, and designing experiences that move people to act.
- Are adept at facilitating participatory design sessions with a variety of stakeholders.
- Like working in small teams with people who know their stuff. We’re not big fans of hierarchy – we give team members a lot of freedom, which means we need to be able to count on everybody to deliver.
Sometimes you’ll see positions for a “User Experience Designer” which is more of an interface designer. We have other team members who focus on interface design.
- 2 years work experience in a user experience role
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience using software to create for site architecture, wireframes and prototypes
- Experience with both quantitative and qualitative user research
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including presenting to groups
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Service design experience
- Content strategy experience
- Higher education client experience
- Remote experience
- Experience teaching and coaching others to apply human-centered design principles
- At least 5 years work experience including 2 years in a user experience role
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
This is a full-time position. It is available as fully remote or in-person at our Blacksburg, VA office. You must reside in the either CST or EST time zones and would be expected to be available between 9am-5pm Eastern time.
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package; salary for this position will vary based on experience. Benefits include:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Coverage
- LTD/STD/Life Insurance
- Remote Stipend
- 12 Vacation days, 5 Personal days
- 10 Paid Holidays
We do not sponsor employment visas; only candidates legally eligible to work in the United States will be considered.
A small note on diversity
We treasure the differences and unique perspectives each of us brings to NewCity. We want to keep growing in diversity and inclusion – it makes us richer in every way. Please know that we are seeking applications from everyone, no matter what background you come from. If this sounds like the job you want, we want to hear from you.
NewCity is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.