NewCity, a digital agency in Blacksburg, Virginia, is looking for a user experience architect who’s passionate about shaping great experiences for humans.
NewCity is a 23-year-old, 25-person firm, working in a highly collaborative, low-ego environment to create digital experiences for the real world. We ask big questions, dream big dreams, but at the end of the day we build things that work. Our culture is can-do, roll-up-your-sleeves, I’ve got your back and you’ve got mine. We’re constantly learning, experimenting and reinventing NewCity.
We’re organized around seven key disciplines: user experience, visual design, content strategy, development, digital marketing and analytics, project management and business development. Our project teams are made of people from multiple disciplines.
As a UX Architect at NewCity you’ll be in a key leadership position with our clients. You’re the one who discovers that sweet spot between client goals and user needs — serving as advocate, negotiator, and occasionally peacemaker. UX encompasses many areas including research, facilitation, strategy, information architecture, wireframes, content strategy and usability testing. You’ll do all of these things, with a fair amount of stakeholder wrangling thrown in for fun. The UX Architect works with a project from stakeholder interviews through implementation to ensure that our whole team keeps humans at the center of our design approach.
You can expect to work on large, complex websites, web and mobile applications, and design systems.
Sometimes you’ll see positions for a “User Experience Designer” which is more of an interface designer. We have other team members who focus on the look and feel of our sites.
If you review our portfolio, you’ll see a lot of work in higher education. It represents about 70% of our work each year. We love working with colleges and universities. It’s a dynamic, constantly changing space that always presents fresh challenges. The rest of our work is mainly with non-profits and B2B corporations. Roughly half our work each year is with repeat clients.
Our clients say there’s nothing cookie-cutter in our portfolio. They say we capture the unique DNA of their brand. That’s huge for us. You’ll be instrumental in helping us continue to do that.
- You have at least 3 to 5 years work experience including 2 years in a user experience role.
- You have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- You’re comfortable with software commonly used for site architecture, wireframes and prototypes.
- You’re ready to lead our clients through the process of understanding their audiences, uncovering the real story, and designing experiences that move people to act.
- You have experience with both quantitative and qualitative user research.
- You’re comfortable facilitating participatory design sessions with a variety of stakeholders.
- You can see the big picture but still enjoy every excruciating, messy detail.
- You like working in small teams with people who know their stuff. We’re not big fans of hierarchy—we give team members a lot of freedom, which means we need to be able to count on everybody to deliver.
This is a full-time position. We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Our ideal candidate would live in the Blacksburg, Virginia area or is interested in relocating here. We are open to considering candidates who work remotely full-time, but only those that can demonstrate successful experience as a full-time remote team member and provide references in their submission materials to prove it.
NewCity does not sponsor employment visas; only candidates legally eligible to work in the United States will be considered.
Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle of NewCity. As an equal opportunity employer, employment is based upon personal capabilities, qualifications and performance. NewCity does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability or any other legally protected status.