NewCity, an interactive agency in Blacksburg, Virginia, is looking for a senior designer. You will work daily with our design and development staff, as well as our clients, to bring new ideas to life.
NewCity is a 23-year-old, 25-person firm, working in a highly collaborative, low-ego environment to create digital experiences for the real world. We ask big questions, dream big dreams, but at the end of the day we build things that work. Our culture is can-do, roll-up-your-sleeves, I’ve got your back and you’ve got mine. We’re constantly learning, experimenting and reinventing NewCity.
We’re organized around seven key disciplines: user experience, visual design, content strategy, front-end and back-end development, digital marketing and analytics, project management and business development. Our project teams are made of people from each discipline.
As a Senior Designer at NewCity, you will
- inspire clients as you explore how their brand will shine in digital, occasionally developing new brand identities in the process.
- take ownership of the design process from concept and design to presentation and delivery, working directly with clients and on 2-4 project teams at a time.
- manage and mentor junior designers.
- play an integral role in moving NewCity’s creative approach forward.
- periodically participate in sales pitches to prospective clients.
- travel occasionally to work on-site directly with clients, usually not longer than 2-3 days at a time.
This is s full-time position. Preference will be given to applicants available to work at our office in Blacksburg, Virginia. We are open to considering full-time remote for candidates with successful experience as a remote team member and the references to prove it.
You must be eligible for full-time employment in the United States. This position will require regular travel within the US, so at this time we are unable to consider candidates located outside of the continental United States.
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.
- You have 5+ years experience creating gorgeous, brand-driven, human-centered design for responsive web and mobile and an online portfolio that reflects your awesomeness.
- You are proactive by nature and possess strong communication, collaboration, research, problem-solving and presentation skills.
- You present design ideas clearly and effectively with insightful rationale.
- You’ve got a solid understanding of how production and programming requirements affect your design. Knowing the opportunities and constraints of CSS, HTML and CMS platforms is fundamental in creating successful design solutions for our clients. Knowing how to collaboratively communicate your vision to developers is key to ensuring the quality of the final product.
- You have a hunger to learn more and do things better. You’re not afraid to break things or shift your assumptions in order to grow and excel, and love sharing what you’ve learned to help others do the same. We win together.
- You use Sketch daily and maintain expert muscle-memory of Adobe Creative Suite to wield whenever necessary. Experience in logo design and brand systems, app design, prototyping (Principle, Figma, Framer, etc.) and familiarity with design systems are a big plus.
If you review our portfolio, you’ll see a lot of work in higher education. It represents about 70% of our work each year. We love working with colleges and universities. It’s a dynamic, constantly changing space that always presents fresh challenges. The rest of our work is mainly with non-profits and B2B corporations. Roughly half our work each year is with repeat clients.
Our clients say there’s nothing cookie-cutter in our portfolio. They say we capture the unique DNA of their brand. That’s huge for us. You’ll be instrumental in helping us continue to do that.
Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle of NewCity. As an equal opportunity employer, employment is based upon personal capabilities, qualifications and performance. NewCity does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability or any other legally protected status.
We’re eager to bring more people onto our team who make us richer with their differences. Our industry has historically seen lower participation from minorities, but it’s something we want to help change.