NewCity, a digital agency in Blacksburg, Virginia, is looking for a senior business development specialist with a strong background in consultative sales, client services, and account management in the digital space to join our team.
Established in 1995, NewCity works closely with our client teams to create enterprise level websites for higher education, large non-profit, and commercial organizations. We have high standards for our work, our team members, and the type of client engagements we take on.
Our team of 23 works in a talent-filled, but low-ego environment to create digital experiences for the real world. We ask big questions – and sweat the details – but at the end of the day our top priority is to build things that work and accomplish our clients’ strategic goals. Our culture is can-do, roll-up-your-sleeves, I’ve got your back and you’ve got mine. We’re constantly learning, experimenting, and improving.
We’re organized around seven key disciplines: user experience, visual design, content strategy, front-end and back-end development, digital marketing and analytics, project management and business development.
If you review our portfolio, you’ll see a lot of work is in higher education. It represents about 70% of our work each year. We love working with colleges and universities. It’s a dynamic, complex and constantly changing space that always presents fresh challenges. The rest of our work is mainly with non-profits and B2B corporations. Roughly half our work each year is with repeat clients.
As a Business Development Specialist at NewCity, you will work closely with the Director of Business Development and other members of NewCity’s leadership group to help execute and continuously improve our strategic approach to new business, client services, and account management. Much of our industry is driven by a formal RFP/Proposal process and strong writing skills are a prerequisite for this position. Writing samples will be required during the interview process for selected candidates.
You will generate new opportunities within targeted industries, cultivate inbound leads, and nurture existing relationships. It’s imperative that you are able to help lead opportunities through the evolution from initial conversations to project kickoffs. You will have the support of other NewCity team members across disciplines to assist you where appropriate.
To be successful in this role you must value collaboration, honesty, transparency, learning, and teaching. You must be an excellent listener and communicator who values and respects clients and coworkers alike.
This position affords the opportunity to interact with a wide variety of interesting client contacts ranging from top level leadership to expert practitioners in large, complex organizations. You will initiate and lead conversations with talented members of marketing communications, design, technology, analytics, and procurement teams. You will also interact with leaders in admissions, advancement, alumni relations and other essential roles within the higher education community.
- Previous agency experience in the digital space
- Consultative sales experience
- Navigating the sales process for high profile projects within large, complex organizations
- Qualifying complex digital opportunities
- Working through formal procurement processes
- Delivering pitch/presentation strategy and execution
- Onboarding new clients
- Working closely with multidisciplinary teams in the digital space
- Using and managing a CRM
- Meeting people and developing opportunities at trade shows and conferences
- The ability think creatively, analytically, and conceptually to develop pragmatic solutions to challenging problems
- Writing and editing multifaceted, custom proposals and statements of work
- Creating and communicating budget estimates for complex projects
- Developing risk mitigation strategies for setting up complex projects
- The ability to prioritize and manage multiple deadlines and competing interests
- Developing outbound lead generation strategies
- Working knowledge in higher education or large non-profit sectors
- Demonstrated experience helping a company break into new industries
- Business development experience securing large digital projects in markets outside of higher education
- Experience with sales analysis and metrics
Salary and Benefits
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Some benefits are only available to employees who work 32 hours or more per week. The compensation for this position will vary based on experience and we are happy to discuss the range with qualified candidates. It will likely include a base salary plus performance based commission/bonus. We’re looking for someone available to work full-time.
NewCity is a partially distributed team but we strongly prefer the person in this role work from our Blacksburg, Virginia office or be located in the Charleston, South Carolina area. When working from our Blacksburg office, we allow employees to work one day a week from home.
NewCity does not sponsor employment visas; only candidates legally eligible to work in the United States will be considered.
Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle of NewCity. As an equal opportunity employer, employment is based upon personal capabilities, qualifications and performance. NewCity does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability or any other legally protected status.