David Poteet will be teaching the full-day version of Beyond Blah Blah: Creating Great Content for the Web at EdUI on September 21st. In this workshop we take lessons we've learned and the best tips from our favorite experts to teach you how to:
- Figure out what content people want in the first place. Learn how to use Mental Models, KJ sessions, Carewords surveys, search logs and more to uncover top audience goals, then organize and prioritize your content.
- Use words that smell like goals – an introduction to information “scent." Learn how to write links and organize pages so that people can find their way to their goals.
- Write visually. Learn how to lay out pages to support scanning, understanding and retention.
- Say something they'll care about and remember. Learn how to get past the “blah blah filter” in your brain to reach the imagination, ultimately motivating action.
Participants will put the lessons into practice immediately through games and group projects.
Here are some comments from recent participants:
I went expecting the typical Blah Blah Blah for four hours hoping I would glean at least one or two pieces of information that would be helpful. (loved your Blah Blah acknowledgement at the beginning of the seminar, by the way)
I was completely blown away!
Every single piece of information was on point and beyond useful.
– Workshop attendee, California State University East Bay
Brilliantly informative, applies not only to web based info but can cross over to printed patient information with regards to space and clarity of information.
David presented a keynote titled The Strategic Value of User Experience and a workshop titled Beyond Blah Blah. Both were excellent. He was a terrific speaker, had lots of good information to share, engaged with the audience, and left behind a group ready to go improve their website designs. His keynote was so well received, that a number of people who had originally signed up for other workshops switched into his. Thank you for the recommendation.
– Arlyn Bonfield, HeSCA Conference Coordinator in a letter to Jared Spool
Recent Presentations of Beyond Blah Blah
- June 2009 at the Health Sciences Communicators Association (HeSCA) in St. Louis, MO
- June 2009 at UVA Darden School of Business in Charlottesville, VA
- April 2009 at Montgomery College in Rockville, MD
- September 2008 at CSU East Bay in Hayward, CA
- June 2008 at Tufts University in Medford, MA
Interested in scheduling a workshop?